August 6, 2009

Confetti Salad

This salad is so ridiculously simple that I hesitated to post it! However, it's such a great way to use up lots of produce at the height of garden season, and it's also something that I don't always think about making. So here goes!

Ingredients: any assortment of fresh, chopped vegetables - in this pictured version I used red and yellow tomatoes, cucumbers, green bell pepper, and spring onions. The dressing is as simple as cottage cheese and seasoning of your choice. Toss them all together, using enough cottage cheese to moisten the vegetables, but the amount of cottage cheese you use is completely a matter of personal preference. Let the flavors blend in the refrigerator for a few hours if possible. I served this alongside a spicy meal - very refreshing!

I used a grill-type seasoning this time, and fresh herbs, like basil leaves, are especially nice. BTW, I highly recommend an organic brand of cottage cheese called "Nancy's". It's quite different from run of the mill cottage cheese, and it has a distinct tangy flavor. I'm hooked!
These recipes will hopefully give you some ideas about how to use produce from your garden or farmer's market. There are also other recipes that are simply here because they are our favorites, or someone made a request at the last church lunch! I'd like to encourage you to alter these recipes to suit your own tastes, your family's needs, and to use what you have on hand. Therefore, some of my recipes will not have exact measurements. So...if any of the recipes leaves you scratching your head, just send me an email and I'll try to answer your question. HappyGrowing@eatingfromthegarden.com