May 4, 2009

Black Walnut Fudge

Just look at this chocolatey goodness...

This is my black walnut fudge - DH's favorite! We're fortunate enough to have a local source for fresh black walnuts, and there is absolutely no comparison to any other nut. They perfume the fudge like nothing else could. As a base for this fudge, I use an old "Fantasy Fudge" recipe, copied from my mother's recipe box, which I believe was an old Kraft marshmallow creme recipe that everyone used back then! I always substitute the black walnuts and I use butter instead of margarine. This recipe makes a load of gifts!

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 12-oz. package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 7-oz. jar marshmallow creme
1 cup chopped black walnuts

Combine sugar, butter and milk in heavy 2-1/2 quart saucepan; bring to full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate till melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts & vanilla, beat until blended. Pour into greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Let cool and cut into 1-inch squares.


These recipes will hopefully give you some ideas about how to use produce from your garden or farmer's market. There are also other recipes that are simply here because they are our favorites, or someone made a request at the last church lunch! I'd like to encourage you to alter these recipes to suit your own tastes, your family's needs, and to use what you have on hand. Therefore, some of my recipes will not have exact measurements. So...if any of the recipes leaves you scratching your head, just send me an email and I'll try to answer your question. HappyGrowing@eatingfromthegarden.com