May 4, 2009

Roasted Tomato Bruschetta

On the main blog is a post about the way that we preserve a lot of our homegrown tomatoes, which is roasting them. Here's one of the savory appetizer recipes I made using some of these preserved beauties. The roasted tomato spread was served on homemade crostini - oh the goodness...

I started with a defrosted batch of the roasted tomatoes. Each bag of tomatoes that we froze was around two cups. I added approximately 1 Tbs. of balsamic vinegar, two crushed cloves of garlic, 1/4 C of chopped fresh basil leaves, and salt and pepper to taste. I didn't add any olive oil since these were roasted in olive oil. If you were doing this spread with a can of tomatoes instead, you would drain it and add some olive oil. The inspiration for this came from Susan Branch's book - Autumn. I made the crostini by simply slicing a loaf of Parmesan baguette, lightly coating it with olive oil on both sides and baking it at 425 until it was just browned - turn it over at some point to get both sides crusty. BTW, DH added olives to this spread and used it to top poached salmon. Equally wonderful!
These recipes will hopefully give you some ideas about how to use produce from your garden or farmer's market. There are also other recipes that are simply here because they are our favorites, or someone made a request at the last church lunch! I'd like to encourage you to alter these recipes to suit your own tastes, your family's needs, and to use what you have on hand. Therefore, some of my recipes will not have exact measurements. So...if any of the recipes leaves you scratching your head, just send me an email and I'll try to answer your question. HappyGrowing@eatingfromthegarden.com