May 3, 2009

Turkey Burgers full of Greens

These turkey burgers are full of good green things! Fresh basil, green onion, and chopped chard leaves. I "melted" the greens in the microwave, which simply means they were washed, a little of the water was left on them, and they were microwaved for about 20 seconds until they collapsed down. Then you chop them and mix them into the meat mixture. You can use any sort of greens in this recipe and also add any sort of seasoning you like. We usually put a good amount of grill seasoning into any burger we're making. Tucked in the middle of this beautiful burger is a small piece of blue cheese, which you can see is pooling out of the top of the burger on the left - what more could you need?!

I got this basic idea from my little sister who came up with tiny turkey burgers loaded with herbs and a hidden piece of Manchego cheese. These were one of the many wonderful things she had for her gracious graduation reception for my niece last May. So I combined her idea with the Joy of Gardening Cookbook tip, which says to add chopped greens to anything that comes out of the kitchen, and my burgers were born. So, so good, and good for you!
These recipes will hopefully give you some ideas about how to use produce from your garden or farmer's market. There are also other recipes that are simply here because they are our favorites, or someone made a request at the last church lunch! I'd like to encourage you to alter these recipes to suit your own tastes, your family's needs, and to use what you have on hand. Therefore, some of my recipes will not have exact measurements. So...if any of the recipes leaves you scratching your head, just send me an email and I'll try to answer your question. HappyGrowing@eatingfromthegarden.com